Emily Tan Yi Rui, 8, started learning Piano and Violin at a very tender age of 4. She also obtained a distinction in ABRSM Grade 1 Theory Exam in June 2021. In Oct 2021, she has obtained Distinction in ABRSM Performance Grade 2 Piano and Merit in her ABRSM Violin Performance Grade 3.
On top of these, she also picked up Guzheng last year during the Covid-19 lockdown in Singapore and score Merit and Distinction for her Grade 1 and 3 practical exams in Dec 2020 and 2021 respectively. She has since then continued this as her 3rd music instrument.
Processing great passion in music, she also attended orchestra and get to travel to Japan in December 2019 for an exchange. She learnt about teamwork in the trip and played Pachelbel – Canon in d, Toy Symphony and Paprika with her violin with the Gunma junior Orchestra.
At tender age of 5, she has been selected to perform at the Yong Siew Toh, NUS under the junior orchestra with Mandeville in Dec 2018. She also performed soloist violin for the Mandeville Biennial Concert on 30th November 2019 in the Yong Siew Toh Conservatory of Music, National University Singapore. Furthermore, she raised funds while playing orchestra in April 2019 at Tampines Festive Arts Festival. She also plays her Christmas songs on her violin during Christmas visits to the old folks home yearly.
She has also won several international and national awards this year:
– Accomplishment award for Piano for the Singapore Aureus Summer Music Festival in June 2021.
– She has clinched the 2nd winner for Piano in the Elementary B and 2nd commentary in the violin Elementary for the August 2021 International Grand Music Festival (IGMF).
– Additionally, she has won the Honor prize in violin solo, Group C (8 years old-2013), String Avenue International Competition Autumn 2021 in September 2021.
– In November 2021, she clinched three first prizes in all the 3 instruments categories for the IMKA Music and Dance competition (2021 Edition).
– In November 2021, she was awarded First Place and second place respectively at the Red Maple Keyboard and Violin competition, Yong Musicians Category, 7-8 years old, and was invited to perform at the Red Maple Music Competition that will be held in Totonto, Canada when the concert halls reopen.
– On 22nd November 2021, she clinched both silver in the Global Genius Music Competition in both the Piano and Violin in Category B, age 7-8, Autumn Season, 2021. She also won the Excellent Musicality Special Prize in this category.
– On 24th Nov 2021, she also clinched the American Music Judges Award for outstanding performance and interpretation at the Musicale Fall Piano Music Festival.
– On 18th Dec 2021, she was awarded Champion for Grade 1 & 2 Piano and Merit for Violin in the 3rd ASCO International Music Competition in Piano and Violin respectively.
– On 1st Jan 2022, she won 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize for folk & Traditional Instruments, Piano Solo and Strings in the Valencia Awards Music Competition (VAMC), Winter 2021, in the age 7-9 category.
– On 9th Jan 2022, she won a total of 5 awards in the London Young Musician – Performance Grade 2 (Gold Prize for Piano), Performance Grade 3 (Silver Prize for Violin), 20th – 21st Century Music Performance (Bronze Prize for Piano), Young Talent for Age 8 and under (Silver Prize) and lastly, clinching the title of All Round Musician Award for winning 2 or more Platinum/ Gold/ Silver/ Bronze prizes under different instruments.
-On 16th Jan 2022. She has been chosen as an Honorable Mention Winner (Young Musicians Category) of American Protégé International Piano & Strings Competition 2022. And, was invited to be in the list of Season 2023 Recitals at Carnegie Hall.
She hopes that her music passion will continue to bring smiles and love to everyone in the world.
You can find Yi Rui Emily’s 2022 Winter Music Competition piano performance here.