Liya Tang loves music and has been playing cello for 10 years (since the age of 4) and piano for 8 years (since the age of 6).
Major honors and awards include:
– 2022: CT Bach Festival finalist for both piano and strings (final competition pending at the time of writing)
– 2022: Awarded a merit-based scholarship to attend an intensive piano camp
– 2022: Selected by audition to join the Connecticut Youth Symphony as a cellist
– 2022: 2nd place in group 3 of the Hartford Music Teacher’s Alliance’s Virtuoso Piano Competition
– 2022: Selected by audition to perform in the Piano Honors recital at the Hartt School of music
– 2022: Selected principal cellist in the Opus’89 orchestra at the Hartt School of Music
– 2021: Finalist for both strings and piano in the highly-selective school wide 2021 Hartt Honors Artist competition
– 2020: Selected by audition as principal cellist in the CT Northern Region Middle School Music Festival (event canceled)
– 2020 & 2018: Accepted by audition to join piano master classes, a piano ensemble and orchestras for the biannual Suzuki Association of the Americas Conferences (2020 event canceled)
– 2019: 1st prize in the Young Artist Piano category and 2nd prize in the Young Artist Instrumental category in the New York Global Music Competition; Invited to performed at Carnegie Hall
You can find Liya’s 2022 European Music Competition cello performance here.
You can find Liya’s 2022 European Music Competition piano performance here.